Camper at Night 2

Camper at Night 2

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Neil Diamond 50th Anniversary Tour

Christmas presents for 2016 included tickets for Amy and me to attend the Neil Diamond concert in Atlanta on April 30.  That’s a long time to wait to collect a Christmas present but the weekend arrived.  We drove up on Friday and navigated 285 around Atlanta along with a million other people who were also inconvenienced due to the overpass on I-85 burning and collapsing.

Bubba, Amy and I went to the outlet mall on Saturday and had lunch (chili dogs and onion rings) at the Varsity.  We did a little shopping and returned home where Amelia and I played chess.  For about two minutes, I had the most points.  The end result was that she beat me twice.
Pondering the next move
The most important thing that happened was on Friday night.  Amelia had written a prayer earlier in the week asking Jesus to come into her heart. She said that evening that she was ready to pray that prayer and she did.  Then she told her mom and dad.  Later when she told me I told her that this was the most important decision she would ever make in life and that she would never forget this day.

The most important day!
The concert was Sunday night.  Amy and I enjoyed a delicious dinner at The Cheesecake Factory which included cheesecake. (Of course!)

The concert was held at Phillips Arena which was a wonder in itself.  It was huge with vendors and restaurants lining the lobby area.  We had good seats in the floor area and could actually see what was going on except when all the rows in front of us had to stand and dance instead of sitting and listening.  Neil Diamond, who is 76 years old, sang for two hours straight without an intermission or an opening act.  He sat on a stool for one song allowing his band to play a number, but other than that he was singing and moving from one side of the stage to the other.  He still sounds good.  I feel like I witnessed a legend and it will make a good story for years to come.  We got home at nearly midnight and poor Amy had to get up early for school the next morning.

Anticipation

Neil Diamond

After the concert
Bubba and I left the house around 9:00 Monday and stopped at a Steak n Shake for breakfast.  It was nearly 10:00 before we pulled onto the interstate and the traffic was much lighter than it was coming into town on Friday evening.  After we got off I-85, I fell asleep and didn’t wake up until we were all the way through Eufaula.  (I’m not used to late nights.)  When we arrived home I immediately started washing clothes.  We only had one day at home before leaving for our cruise so I had to hustle.

Side story:  Amy took Amelia to the doctor recently for a checkup.  They pricked her finger for blood.  Amelia was telling me about it and I said,"That didn't hurt much, did it?"  Amelia said, "I was screaming in my head."  I had an injection in my knee recently so I understood what she meant.  😀

It was a quick trip but I enjoyed the time with family.  A night out with Amy is always fun.  Neil Diamond will be on his 50th Anniversary Tour until the end of September.  I don’t know how he does it but I wish him continued success.  And I wish I could get an energy transfusion from him some day. 🤞🤞

No comments:

Post a Comment